Malta Online Casinos
The Malta Gaming Authority (MGA) is a non-profit organization responsible for issuing licenses to gambling online companies, which meet the agency’s strict standards. The main purpose of this organization is to make Malta online casinos and software providers across the world follow rules of fair and responsible gambling, and to protect players from exploitation.
Today we will discuss the following issues:
- the history and modern state of MGA affairs;
- main responsibilities and functions;
- best gambling sites that are approved by the Malta casino organization;
- types of licenses and the way to obtain them;
- benefits and drawbacks of the Malta Gaming Authority.
This article answers the most frequently asked questions and both beginners and experienced casino players will no longer have to worry about choosing the wrong website. Continue reading and learn everything about the Malta Gaming Authority and its contribution to the online gambling world.
Best Malta Online Casinos 2023
|NZ$250 + 100 FS||Read Review||SlotNite||1370+||
|NZ$500 + 300 FS||Read Review||NightRush||747+||
Captain Cooks Casino
|$500||Read Review||Captain Cooks Casino||647+||
Neon Vegas Casino
|$500||Read Review||Neon Vegas Casino||1800+||
|$1000 + 150 FS||Read Review||LeoVegas||550+||
|€1500 + 150 FS||Read Review||Playzee||1294+||
|$5000 + 50 FS||Read Review||Casimba||596+||
|$200 + 100 FS||Read Review||Caxino||1500+||
|$25 Cashback||Read Review||Scatters||1850+||
|📌 Number of Casinos||107|
|📌 Casino Games||3616+|
|📌 Max Bonus||NZ$2250 + 50 FS|
|📌 Payment Methods||PayPal, Paysafe, Bitcoin|
|📌 Address||Building SCM 02-03, SmartCity Malta|
|📌 Phone||+356 2546 9000|
What Is An MGA?
The best way to define the MGA is to enumerate the goals it pursues: protecting vulnerable and young players, promoting fair and responsible gaming, ensuring honesty of services and games, and confirming that MGA regulated casino operators are free from any criminal activities.
While some countries issue their own gambling licenses, most markets rely on the Malta Gaming Authority reputation due to secure regulation levels and high standards. When choosing Malta casinos, gamblers can be sure that the interests of users are paramount, and the websites bear responsibility for every decision they make.
A Brief History Of MGA Organization
In 1922 was established the Public Lotto Act, which made all forms of gaming and casino gambling legal in Malta. One century later, the Maltese Ministry of Economic Affairs has established the Lotteries and Gaming Authority, which is now responsible for all the lotteries, gaming machines, and arcades, as well as all Malta casinos on the internet.
Online operators started obtaining licenses in 2000 and this made Malta the first European country to accredit casinos. In 2015 the Lotteries and Gaming Authority was rebranded and since then is called the Malta Gaming Authority, which we appreciate today.
Malta Gaming Authority Nowadays
MGA sets extremely high standards to online casino sites and issues licenses only to those, who meet the requirements in terms of finances, structure, game selection, reputation, and other important issues.
This regulatory body consists of five boards:
- Board of Governors (bears responsibility for the strategic development of casinos);
- Executive Committee (follows the implementation of the casino general strategy);
- Audit Committee (resolves autid issues);
- Supervisory Committee (reviews regulatory objectives);
- Fit and Proper Committee (makes sure the applicants fit the license).
While the Malta Gaming Authority has a limited amount of jurisdiction concerning land and population, MGA online casinos are recognized and trusted across the world.
Apart from accrediting websites, this organization runs the following projects:
- The Responsible Gaming Foundation – its main goal is to spread awareness and explain possible consequences and causes of irresponsible gambling. The foundation also provides advice and support to compulsive gamblers.
- Gaming Malta – a non-profit organization that was established in 2015 and aims to promote this country as the leading gambling jurisdiction among casinos.
- The European Gaming Institute of Malta – offers short-term courses and Master’s programs for those who want to learn more about the casino industry and to gain the necessary skills for participating in the fast-growing gambling industry.
As you see, when choosing Malta-based online casinos players can get comprehensive support and a full set of additional features and perks.
Main Responsibilities of MGA
Malta Gaming Authority, as the supreme gambling regulatory body of the country, has a wide range of functions and duties. They cover all aspects of the online Malta casino market and aim to protect all participants.
The main responsibilities of MGA include:
- licensing and regulating the Malta online gambling industry;
- protecting youngsters and vulnerable people by promoting safe and responsible play;
- guidance during the application process;
- protecting deposits and withdrawals of casino players;
- conducting independent audits to ensure the honesty of games and devices;
- safeguarding rights of players by investigating complaints;
- monitoring Maltese casino sites to make sure they are not involved in criminal activities.
Unfortunately, MGA is not able to return funds that were lost in a fair game but it can give assistance and advice on depositing money, as well as on solving disputes between players and casinos.
Best MGA Licensed Online Casinos
While it’s easy to count land-based casinos in New Zealand on the fingers of one hand, you may find it more challenging to choose a reliable online provider. Luckily, we took care of everything and you should just continue reading.
Here is a list of the best online casinos in Malta and abroad with a crystal-clear reputation:
- Leo Vegas Casino – an award-winning gambling site launched back in 2010. Apart from all the necessary licenses, it has a user-friendly website translated into multiple languages and a smoothly running mobile version. New players can expect a $1000 welcome bonus with 122 free spins;
- Jonny Jackpot – a new Malta online casino that has already gained the attention of players worldwide. It hosts almost 1500 games from tens of software providers, so here you will never be bored;
- PlayOjo Casino – a brand-new operator that has a few trumps in the sleeve. Apart from winning several international awards, Ojo has a unique no wagering welcome bonus – players will get one free spin for every $1 deposited. The maximum amount is 50 spins and the playthrough is absent;
- Temple Nile Casino – one of the licensed Malta gambling sites that deserves your attention. Founded in 2018 it has a wide range of bonuses, freebies, and banking methods that will satisfy even the most demanding players;
- LuckLand – the best Malta casinos online operator for those, who love regular promotions and a big game selection. Here you will find live dealer titles and scratch cards, as well as a VIP club and generous weekly bonuses;
- SkyCity Casino – a great option for Kiwi players, who want to get all the perks of online gambling. All customers of SkyCity online casino will get a generous bonus of $100 and access to more than a hundred high-quality games available on PC and mobile devices.
All Malta online casinos are checked on fairness and randomness, so you can choose any gambling site without any fears and stress. However, selecting representatives above will additionally bring you bonuses and outstanding perks.
New Malta Online Casinos
- GoWild Casino
- Yeti Casino
- Spinland Casino
- Europa Casino
- Spinia Casino
- Betchan Casino
- Betway Casino
- Red Flush Casino
- Hello Casino
- Hyper Casino
Gamblers on all continents are impatiently waiting for new MGA casinos and it’s not surprising. While there are tens of new operators emerging every day, it becomes quite difficult to distinguish a good and reputable provider from the one, which only wants to scam players.
Luckily, online gambling in Malta is taken seriously and operators that want to obtain an MGA license should try really hard. This is not a one-day process, so when a new Malta online casino is launched, it becomes real news.
To be among the first casino players and to get maximum perks and benefits, just follow the news on the organization’s website or read our articles: we’ll keep you updated on all the launches.
Responsible Gambling At Malta Online Casinos
When looking at MGA casino sites you’ll notice that most have seals from third-party organizations, which deal with problem gambling. MGA has strict rules when it comes to responsible gaming and offers a wide range of instruments and tools including databases of problem gamblers and a chance to be self-excluded from Malta casino online websites.
In 2014 together with the local government, they launched the Responsible Gaming Foundation. It raises issues of problem gaming and provides support and assistance to those in need. To learn more about responsible gambling and get help, you can read a devoted article on our website.
How Online Casino Can Get an MGA License?
Now, when you have a Malta online casino list of top providers, it’s the right time to tell how gambling sites can obtain an MGA license. Thus, you’ll always know what stages a chosen online casino had to go through to please players with outstanding quality of services:
- Evaluation of individuals – The authority checks people that are involved in management and finances. This includes their background, previous activities, and possible jobbery.
- Business plan – In the next stage, the business plan and growth strategies of the operator are evaluated. This allows understanding the main goals of the company and its vision of the future.
- Capital requirements – MGA-approved casinos should have transparent capital for running the business. A potential licensed casino must be financed from reliable and transparent sources. This also includes share capital.
- Technical aspects – When the above requirements are fulfilled, applicants are given two months to work with the website’s technical side. After conducting a system audit and confirming that everything works properly, a provider receives a 10-year Malta casino license.
- Compliance audits – When the website is already launched, the operator should undergo compliance reviews. The first is done one year after obtaining a license, the other – depending on the MGA compliance plan.
If the casino doesn’t follow the requirements on any stage of the application process, they may be asked to start the procedure all over again. After launching the website the license may be suspended or terminated if the provider fails to follow the rules and guidelines.
Types of Malta Gaming Authority Licenses
Malta Gaming Authority casinos can get one of four types of licenses:
- Class 1: It’s a remote gaming license, where casinos manage risk on repetitive game types. For example, online lotteries. The games are operated on software.
- Class 2: This one is a remote betting license, where sites manage risk on matchbook-based events. For example, betting with fixed odds.
- Class 3: A license to encourage and support casinos in Malta, where operators charge a certain fee for promoting games. It’s possible to have both a Class 3 and a Class 4 licenses at the same time.
- Class 4: It is a license that manages gambling operators (not the licensee). Basically, it’s a B2B gambling license that was recently elaborated by MGA.
In case you are not sure which license to apply for, contact the MGA customer support and they’ll give comprehensive advice and explanations.
Special Requirements For Malta Online Casinos
To get a license Malta online casino sites should provide the following information:
- Minimum capital (deposited capital should equal €100,000 for classes 1 and 2, €40,000 for Class 3 and 4, and €240,000 for providers that are willing to obtain several licenses);
- MGA online casinos registration certificates;
- Last year’s financial audit records (if available);
- Trademark registration documents;
- Business plan for three years;
- Letter of attorney;
- Standard application and declaration forms from the LGA website.
MGA reserves the right to ask for other sorts of documents like residence proof, passports, etc. Thus, casino players are sure that the best gambling websites with the Malta Gaming Authority license have all the necessary documents for fair and responsible gambling.
Complains Against Malta Casino Sites
MGA is responsible for solving issues and disputes between players and Malta casino sites. If you are not able to come to a resolution on broken features, payouts, blocked accounts, and other issues, and independent bodies that are listed on casino’s site are powerless, here’s what you should do:
- Contact MGA. It has multiple communication channels but the best way is reaching the authority through the Player Support channel. Tell managers everything about the complaint or ask for clarifications on a particular casino.
- Provide the details. Give the organization screenshots, and other audio and visual materials related to the case. Thus, the company will have necessary arguments to face MGA online gambling operators.
- Leave your personal details. When the resolution is made, you will be contacted by the support team and will be able to track progress.
When reading Malta online casino reviews or terms on the official website you have probably noticed that all the disputes should be completed in a written form. This means that even when making a call, it’s necessary to send an email with all the data. Thus, real-money instant withdrawal casinos and other types of operators will find it difficult to disprove your claim.
Software Developers Licensed With MGA
This license is given not only to top Malta online casinos but also to reliable software providers.
Here is a list of developers you can trust:
- Microgaming – It doesn’t require an introduction because it has been supplying the market of Malta casino games since 1994. Microgaming has paid out over $500,000,000 jackpots and continues to amaze players with flawless design and game features;
- NetEnt – Online slots Malta operators always have titles from NetEnt on offer and it’s not surprising: this software developer has the best no deposit bonuses and a constantly growing game library;
- Betsoft – Beginners can try out their free slots without risking a dollar. This outstanding provider can be found in the best online casino in Malta and all over the world. Just look at their finest selection of classical and 3D machines, and you’ll know what we mean;
- Pragmatic Play – Even though this developer may not be present in every online casino, it surely deserves attention. Gamblers can choose from 150 titles, each of which is packed with bonuses and exclusive features;
- Play’n GO – You have surely heard of Book of Dead or Jade Magician, both of which were launched by Play’n GO – a reputable Swedish casino developer, which specializes in pokies. The company was launched in the 1990s and ensures safe and exciting gambling in hundreds of online Malta casinos.
Any time when looking for slots or blackjack casinos, pick the one, which has games of the above providers and enjoys the best titles without any worries and fear.
Banking Options At Malta Online Casinos
Online casinos licensed by the Malta Gaming Authority should offer players safe and fast payment methods including PayPal, e-wallets, and Bitcoin.
Here are the most popular banking options that you can find in the best online casino Malta providers:
- PayPal – It is not only the most popular but also the most beneficial banking option because PayPal doesn’t charge casinos with any fees for making a transaction;
- Bitcoin – The newest payment method protects users’ identity and ensures the anonymity of transactions. Now you can play at real money online casino in Malta without fear of losing sensitive data;
- Skrill – This method doesn’t have any fees and you can deposit or withdraw money without spending a cent. It is fast, secure, and is trusted by thousands of New Zealand casino players;
- POLi – This convenient banking option allows instant withdrawals and free deposits, so the game will always be fast and beneficial. No credit cards are needed!
Apart from the methods mentioned above, players can choose credit and debit cards, ecoPayz, and Google Pay online casino payments: each option has a set of perks for convenient and safe transactions.
Benefits Of Choosing A Malta Online Casino
The main MGA goal is to provide players with a safe environment, where they can enjoy the best games without any risks and fears of losing data or money. Here are the most evident reasons why choosing casinos with the Malta Gaming Authority License is the right choice:
✅ Fair gaming – When choosing an online roulette casino or those with other table games and slots, players can be sure of fair chances of winning. All titles go with a random number generator to ensure that no one is able to influence outcomes;
✅ Protection of players – One of the main MGA responsibilities is to make sure that gambling websites protect sensitive data of casino players and never use it for their own purposes. Those, who hold the MGA license must comply with the data protection act;
✅ Separation of funds – Another reason why best Malta online casinos are so popular is that before obtaining a license they must separate players’ funds from operating ones. Thus, if the casino goes bankrupt players will keep their money safe;
✅ Chances to complain – If online casinos don’t follow the rules and requirements, players can contact the Malta Gaming Authority and open a dispute.
These are only some benefits that online Malta casinos have. We are sure that when joining one of these casinos you’ll be able to find lots of other advantages.
Drawbacks Of Online Casinos That Have MGA License
We have already discussed the best online casinos in Malta and the reasons why they are a perfect choice for players, who want to enjoy their favorite titles without stress. But are there any drawbacks? Actually, there is one:
❌ Casinos with MGA licenses don’t accept players from all parts of the world. Thus, you need to check whether your country of residence is in a list of restricted areas.
Luckily, New Zealand players have green light because they are allowed to play in top Malta casinos without any limitations.
FAQ About Malta Casinos
✅ How much time does it take Malta-based casinos to get a license?
- Everything depends on how quickly the operator is able to meet the required criteria. We highly recommend internet casinos in Malta to conduct research before sending an application. Thus, every stage will be smooth and fast.
✅ Are there live games in casinos with the MGA license?
- Yes, casino online Malta players can enjoy their favorite live dealer games. They come from such trusted software developers as NetEnt, Evolution Gaming, and others. Just choose an online platform that you like and head to its live dealer section. And don’t forget that there are Malta mobile casinos for those, who prefer playing on the go.
✅ Who can play in Malta casinos?
- While there are a few restricted areas, most countries and regions are open for gamblers. Thus, if you are from America, Asia, Europe, New Zealand, and Africa, feel free to join the casino game any time you want.
✅ Is bitcoin accepted in MGA casinos?
- The best online casinos for Malta players are starting to use cryptocurrency as deposit and withdrawal methods. Bitcoin has many benefits and anonymity is one of them. However, before including it as your payment method make sure to get familiar with the terms and requirements of chosen casinos.