Sports betting is a hobby that has been enjoyed for thousands of years. The first forms of betting appeared in Ancient Greece and then have quickly spread across the world. Nowadays, sportsbooks have a 30% share of the gambling industry, and millions of users spend money trying to predict the outcome of their favourite games.
New Zealanders are not an exception and with such interest in football, cricket, and rugby, it is not surprising that locals regularly bet on sports. Even though the domestic legislation is rather tense, Kiwis can choose from thousands of international websites at Casino HEX.
In this comprehensive guide you will learn everything about online betting, including the following issues:
- The best online betting sites in New Zealand.
- Things to consider when trying out a new platform.
- Popular sport betting types among Kiwis.
Best NZ Betting Sites in 2022
|NZ$1500||Read Review||Betway Casino||140+|
|$500 + 150 FS||Read Review||Mr Play||450+|
|$150 + 25 FS||Read Review||10Bet||400+|
Mr Green Casino
|200 FS||Read Review||Mr Green Casino||350+|
|$150 + 50 FS||Read Review||William Hill||315+|
Top-rated Online Sportsbooks In New Zealand
If you are interested in betting on sports, choosing safe online casinos in New Zealand is very important. Thus, you protect yourself and ensure a positive experience. Our specialists have made a list of all online betting sites for New Zealanders that deserve attention, that includes:
- Betway Sports – This platform is well-known to betters from all parts of the world for an impressive sportsbook and generous bonuses. Here, you can claim $30 in free bets and an extra $10 every week.
- Spin Sports – It is not a new betting site and has been on the market since 2001. Spin Sports has numerous payment options, speedy withdrawals, and more than 30 different sports on offer. Its website is modern, smooth, and convenient.
- LeoVegas Sports – If you love betting for real money, LeoVegas is definitely a place to go. It was launched in 2012 and since then has obtained several prestigious awards. For example, Mobile Operator Of The Year. Its RTP exceeds 95% and customer support is available 24/7. There is also a live streaming option available.
- Guts Sports – This betting website was founded in 2013 and already has millions of fans across the globe. Guts Sports has one of the biggest football offers: almost 59,000 markets. There is also a $10 ‘no lose’ bet when making a first deposit. A convenient interface is easy to understand even for beginners.
- Unibet – It is one of the oldest betting websites and is licensed by the MGA and the UKGC. Its sports collection will impress even experienced users and a convenient mobile version will allow betting on the go.
- 22bet Sports – It doesn’t matter whether you are searching for a rugby or NBA sportsbook, be sure to find all types of activities at 22bet Sports. In addition, you can bet on politics, esports, and culture. There are over 1000 live games happening every day.
- Bet365 – This platform is available on all devices, so you can always bet on the go. Bet365 can also boast an impressive selection of promotions which are not only listed on the site but also sent via email.
- 888 Sport – For more than 20 years 888 Sport has been providing users with safe and quality services. It is one of the few gambling operators that is traded on the London Stock Exchange.
When making bets in these sportsbooks, be sure you’ll have a great gaming experience without worrying about the website’s fairness and data protection.
How We Review Sports Betting Sites ✅
Every user wants to choose a reliable platform with the best online betting bonuses and the broadest list of sports. Unfortunately, it may be rather time-consuming. That is why our experts do the job for you and review hundreds of platforms. Here are the features of the top online betting sites:
As you see, there are many things to consider when choosing a trustworthy website. Fortunately, after reading this online betting guide you will know what platforms to use.
Types of Online Betting
One of the biggest advantages of internet betting is its diversity. You can find hundreds of sportsbook sites and thousands of sport types. Below we will tell you more about the most popular types of activities and sports bets among Kiwis.
Sports betting is a gambling variation where people make bets on sports. They can choose one of the numerous outcomes: what team wins, how many scores are made, and so on. A company that provides betting services is called a sportsbook. In the previous paragraphs, you can get familiar with legal sports betting sites for Kiwis.
Most Popular Sports to Bet on in New Zealand
Kiwis love sports betting and regularly visit websites that offer wagers on different events. It doesn’t matter whether you are interested in horse racing, rugby, or soccer betting: be sure to find a corresponding platform. Below we have made a list of the most popular sports among New Zealanders:
- Horse Racing Betting. Racing is the oldest form of betting in NZ, so thousands of locals still choose it at sportsbooks. On our platform, you can find the best online horse betting sites for Kiwis with good odds and transparent terms.
- Rugby Betting. Rugby is one of the most popular sports among Kiwis and there is an event or tournament taking place literally every month. Plus, you can always find the best betting sites with the necessary markets and bets.
- Football Betting. It doesn’t matter whether you are interested in domestic football or NFL online betting: be sure to find a suitable platform. There is a league in almost every country in the world and the football sports calendar is rather busy.
- Cricket Betting. It’s difficult to find a Kiwi who is indifferent to Blackcaps and even though cricket is not so popular overseas, in NZ it is blooming. And users love making cricket online bets.
- Basketball Betting. There is plenty of NBA online betting websites where you can wager on different basketball leagues, players, and games.
- Boxing Betting. Kiwis love boxing and other fighting types of sports. It’s also not rare to see UFC betting options on the Internet. And if you prefer MMA betting, just pick one of the listed websites.
- Golf Betting. Golf may not be the most common kind of sport in New Zealand but it is still rather popular among sports bettors.
- Tennis Betting. There is always something going on at the international tennis arena. That is why you have plenty of options to bet on not depending on the time of the year.
Apart from the indicated types of sports, you can pick other options. For example, MLB betting sites for baseball fans or NHL betting sites for those who love hockey. There is also a huge number of esports bettors in New Zealand and below we’ll tell about this type of betting in more detail.
Esports is professional video gaming where individual players or teams participate in games and tournaments. The most popular games are Call of Duty, League of Legends, Counter-Strike, and Dota. Esports is so popular that there is even an official body, the NZ Esports Federation, which controls the market. To bet on esports is to wager on a game, score, or a certain player.
Recently, live streaming betting sites have become extremely popular. They allow users to make bets in real-time. The stats are presented on the screen and you can alter the bets depending on the changing results and predictions. Live betting gives a great opportunity to learn more about betting and see how other users wager.
Other Types Of Betting
Online betting is so popular that engages not only sports but other activities. At the moment it is not rare to see cultural or political betting sites that accept wagers on music or movie awards, elections, and other public events.
Start Betting On Your Mobile
Recently, mobile betting has become as popular as the desktop one because it offers convenience and flexibility. The best online sportsbooks even offer unique promotions and benefits to those who decide to bet on mobile. If you prefer wagering on the go, choose either online betting apps or browser versions. Both options are secure, fast, and allow betting not depending on where you are.
Best Betting Apps in New Zealand
If you are looking for a sports betting app with a great interface, attractive promotions, and a broad list of offered bets, pay attention to the following applications:
- 22 Bet;
- Bet 365;
- 888 Sport;
- Sport Nation;
- William Hill.
Brand New Betting Platforms
Joining a new online live betting platform has numerous advantages and a big number of fresh sports titles and exclusive promotions are only some of them. Here are the latest releases you should know about:
- Mr. Play;
- 10 Bet.
How to Make Real Money Bets?
First-time users often think that betting on sports is difficult. They believe that the procedure of creating an account and making a deposit is complex. We are happy to prove you are wrong because the whole process consists only of a few steps and takes several minutes of your time. Here is a step-by-step guide:
Get familiar with the best sports betting sites at CasinoHex or online. Then pick the one which hosts the game of your interest, has convenient payment methods, and fulfills other requirements.
Sign up by indicating the necessary details. They include your full name, birth date, address, email, and so on.
Verify the account if needed. You’ll be sent an email with a verification link: just press on it and you will be redirected to the platform.
Head to the Banking section. Choose a necessary payment method, currency, and deposited sum. As a rule, New Zealand bettors can enjoy instant deposits in a local currency.
Choose a sports event and make a bet. We recommend getting familiar with the odds in advance and reading all the terms and conditions attentively not to miss out on the important details.
Main Types Of Online Bets
When joining NZ online sports betting sites, you may feel lost because the number of possible bets is huge. But if you have never bet before, we recommend starting with the most common bet types. They are:
- Parlay bet – It is a bet which consists of two and more wagers.
- Futures betting – A wager made on an event that will take place far in the future. For example, next year’s championship.
- Straight bet – It is a wager on an event that is determined either by a money line or a point spread.
- Proposition bet – Prop bet is made on a certain event within a game. For example, who will score the first goal or what team will come first.
General Betting Odds
One of the most important indicators you should keep in mind is online betting odds. They depict the probability of the outcome and show how much money you can earn. The three odd types are:
|American||It consists of a +/- sign (shows your prospective payout) and a three-digit number. For example, +160 or – 480.|
|Decimal||These odds look as follows: 2.20, 1.45, etc. To calculate the winnings, multiply your bet by the odds.|
|Fractional||They look like 1/3 or 9/6. The first number shows how many times the outcome is predicted to fail and the second – indicates how many times the outcome is excepted to happen.|
Main Betting Markets
Another important concept to be aware of when joining domestic or international betting websites is markets. It is a bet category on a certain event. Usually, one game has several betting markets. A marketplace publishes odds for the event, so you can head to the chosen market and get familiar with the expected outcomes.
If we are talking about a football match, it may offer the following markets: the final result, the number of goals, the top scorer, and so on. There may be tens of markets at a single event.
Best Betting Bonuses for Kiwis
To stand the competition and attract users, websites always introduce generous sign up offers and regular promotions. Here are the most popular sports betting bonuses you can benefit from:
- Free bets – As you get from the title, this promotion means that the sportsbook awards users with a certain amount of money without a need to make a deposit. This bonus is often called a no deposit one. Usually, this sum can’t be withdrawn and the winnings are subjected to strict terms and conditions.
- Deposit bonus – It is presented as a percentage of the first deposit. For example, 50% or even 100% on the deposited sum. Thus, you will be given extra cash to play with.
- Match bonus – This promotion is similar to a deposit bonus but is given to regular users and the percentage is usually lower. For example, a 25% match on Fridays. If you deposit $100, you’ll have a total of $125 on the account.
- Cashback – One of the most popular online betting promotions, cashback returns players a certain percentage of their losses.
Benefits Of Making Bets Online
Sports betting has been around for thousands of years and has already proved to be extremely fun and entertaining. With the popularity of the Internet, this hobby became even more affordable and there are numerous NZ betting sites available to millions of users. Wondering why so many people choose online over offline betting? Here are some of the reasons:
- Convenience. You don’t need to drive to a betting shop, wasting hours of your precious time. Users have an opportunity to join recommended betting sites not depending on where they are. It is not only convenient but also gives a chance to escape boredom and not to miss an important game.
- Better odds. Users can check odds in different sportsbooks and pick a platform with the best offers. Even though the difference with odds in a brick and mortar venue might not be significant, in a long run it will pay off. Especially if you are a regular bettor.
- Bonuses. Physical betting shops offer specials but they are never as beneficial as online promotions. When wagering on the Internet, users are offered a plethora of rewarding bonuses and can significantly increase their bankroll.
- Variety of games. Traditional betting venues offer a limited number of markets, so you might place your bets only on the available sports. However, when betting online users can choose a platform with the necessary sports type or with a broad selection of markets.
- Improved security. While some players still worry that a betting site may disappear with their money, in reality, the chances are rather low. Especially when choosing a trustworthy platform. They use encryption protocols and are regulated by international authorities, so are actually more reliable than offline venues.
Online Betting Industry In New Zealand
As you know, online gambling regulation in New Zealand is rather complex and according to the 2003 Gambling Act, games of chance are illegal. However, online betting is an exception. The sports betting industry in New Zealand is regulated by the Racing Board of NZ (NZRB) and the 2003 Racing Act. Locals can wager not only at the biggest betting companies by telephone but also on offshore websites.
The Totalizator Agency Board or TAB is the monopoly totalizator in New Zealand and Australia which operates betting both online and offline. Even though it was replaced by the NZRB in 2003, physical shops still exist under the TAB brand.
Tab NZ is taking over the betting sphere
TAB or the Totalizator Agency Board is the only official betting agency in the country. New Zealanders can open a TAB online betting account and wager on more than 30 kinds of sports. If you prefer online betting on horse racing, there is Trackside with 500 physical stores. TAB betting is secure and there is a dedicated application available.
Useful Betting Tips From HEX Experts
To make your betting experience smooth and fun, it is important to be aware of a few tips and tricks. Our experts have made a list of the things you should consider before making the first bet:
- Apply different betting strategies. – They will help you to calculate the best outcomes and to take betting to a completely new level. There are numerous strategies like basic value betting (making a bet only if the value is positive), chasing steam (making the same bets as popular bettors), and fading the public (betting against the common outcomes).
- Choose a reliable website. – You may be a football guru or have a solid knowledge of the odds and markets but they will be meaningless if you choose the wrong platform. Read our online sportsbook reviews, check the criterion discussed in these guidelines, and you’ll always pick a trustworthy website.
- Try out live betting. – Users can watch the event in real-time which gives lots of valuable information for future bets. In addition, you can see how odds and bets change which helps to make an informed decision.
FAQ About Sports Betting
Is online betting legal in New Zealand?
- According to the Racing Act 2003, racing and sports betting is allowed following the TAB rules. Kiwis can legally bet by SKY Digital TV, telephone, at retail outlets, and the official TAB website. In addition, New Zealanders can enjoy virtual sports betting at one of numerous offshore platforms.
Why online betting is so popular?
- There are many reasons why sports betting games are popular. First of all, they are straightforward and there’s no need to master complex rules. Another advantage is that there are thousands of sport types online, as well as a huge number of bets and odds. In addition, it is a great way to become an active participant in the game.
Is there a risk of getting addicted?
- Yes, like any other form of gambling, sports betting may be addictive. If you are a compulsive player, have issues with self-control, and consider it not just a regular hobby, we recommend learning more about responsible gambling measures.
Can I win money at online football betting sites?
- Yes, you can. As with any gambling type, you won’t be able to earn all the time. And the sum might not be as big as you have expected at first. However, there is a great number of markets and bets that allow you to choose the most beneficial way of winning. For example, during a single football game, you can bet on the number of goals, game results, goal scorer, and numerous other markets.
How can I choose the best NBA betting sites?
- The most important criteria for any betting website is reliability. It must have licenses from reputable authorities that regularly check the platform and ensure that it is fair. In this guide, we have enumerated the features top websites should possess. But if you don’t want to search on your own, just pick one of the providers from our list. There you will be able to bet not only on the NBA but on hundreds of other sport types.
What promotions can I get?
- Users have a chance to benefit from a wide range of offers. First-time players can use no deposit online betting offers or extra cash to bet with. Regular users enroll in the loyalty scheme and can collect rewards that include higher betting limits, faster withdrawals, cashback, and much more.
What sports can I bet on the Internet?
- It is impossible to enumerate all sports types because there are hundreds of them, each of which has numerous leagues, championships, and contests. However, the most popular are football, rugby, curling, horseracing, and UFC online betting. We recommend choosing a platform with a broad selection of sports types.