Land-based casinos are brick and mortar gaming premises situated in places that you can go to and play for real money. These gambling houses give players a wide range of emotions with exclusive design, cosy interior, luxury bars, and of course welcoming staff. They also have entertainment programs, elegant hotels, and restaurants with delicious cuisine.
Brick and mortar casinos offer players entertainment with the majority of games including blackjack, roulette, poker, video machines, and many more. If you decided to include attending land-based gambling premises to the list of the things to do in New Zealand, below you’ll find not only the best offline venues but will also get tips and advice from the leading gambling experts. Stay tuned not to miss a single detail.
Best Land-Based Casinos in New Zealand
If you are new to gambling and want to master blackjack, poker or any other game, you won’t do without a list of the best land-based casinos in New Zealand. Below we’ll tell you about the top representatives of the industry, so you’ll be able to choose a gambling house according to personal taste and preferences.
This casino belongs to the SkyCity Entertainment Group and is situated in the heart of Auckland, the second-largest city in New Zealand. It’s a part of the Sky Tower facility and even though the casino remains its major entertainment, visitors can also attend a theatre, convention centre, two hotels, and multiple restaurants. SKYCITY Auckland has first opened its doors in 1996 and welcomes players on the Corner of Victoria and Federal Streets.
When visiting the casino complex, players immediately dive into a glamorous and luxurious atmosphere. Here no one will be bored with over 2,000 real-money slots, more than 150 table games including blackjack, poker, roulette, and many others. SkyCity facility is a perfect choice for gamblers, who want to experience all the thrills of a land-based casino. SKYCITY Auckland is open round-the-clock every day. The age limit – 20+.
📍 Address: Victoria Street &, Federal Street, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand ⏰ Hours: 24/7 📞 Phone: +64 9-363 6000 💻 Website: https://skycityauckland.co.nz/
SKYCITY Hamilton is a land-based casino for New Zealanders that was founded in 2000 and is situated in a picturesque city of Hamilton. It’s a real attraction not only for the locals but for thousands of tourists from across the world. This unique casino offers a wide selection of games and live entertainment, several restaurants, and a friendly atmosphere.
At SKYCITY Hamilton gamblers can enjoy 23 table games like blackjack, roulette, baccarat, and more. In addition, there are over 330 pokies on offer. The staff is hospitable and friendly and is always at your service. It is open all-year-round, 24/7. To visit the casino players should be at least 20 years old. The dress code is smart casual, which means that jeans and a shirt are acceptable.
📍 Address: 346 Victoria Street, Hamilton 3204, New Zealand ⏰ Hours: 24/7 📞 Phone: +64 7-834 4900 💻 Website: https://skycityhamilton.co.nz/
If you are looking for a land-based establishment, pay attention to Dunedin. It was launched in 1999 and is one of the most popular offline casinos among both new and experienced gamblers. It’s situated only 24 km away from the Dunedin International Airport in the city center, which makes the place convenient both for locals and tourists.
Those, who are looking not only for a place to gamble will definitely appreciate the building the Dunedin Casino is situated in – a Victorian-era construction that was created in 1883. Here you can choose from 180 electronic pokies and 12 table games including blackjack, poker, baccarat, roulette, and much more.
Dunedin land-based casino is not the only building facility, which allows gamblers relaxing between the gambling rounds and obtaining even more experiences. Here you can dine in a luxury Grand Bar & Café or grab a cocktail in multiple bars. When joining the Dunedin casino, players get a membership card, which grants them a huge set of perks for playing different games and relaxing.
📍 Address: 118 High Street, Dunedin 9016, New Zealand ⏰ Hours: 11 a.m. – 3 a.m. 📞 Phone: +64 3-477 4545 💻 Website: https://grandcasino.co.nz/
Christchurch casino is the first land-based gambling house in the area because it was founded over 25 years ago, in 1994. It has become the most popular tourist attractions of the southern island and welcomes gamblers from 11 AM to 3 AM every single day. Players are introduced to a wide range of features: more than 500 pokies and 30 tables for gaming including poker, roulette, baccarat, blackjack, and others.
There are also three restaurants, and two bars (one of which is a sports bar). Every weekend, visitors can listen to live performers and try out dishes both of the local and international cuisine. Christchurch Casino is a place, where locals love to spend their evenings, which means that this gambling house is reputable and safe.
📍 Address: 30 Victoria Street, Christchurch Central City, Christchurch 8013, New Zealand ⏰ Hours: 24/7 📞 Phone: +64 3-365 9999 💻 Website: https://christchurchcasino.co.nz/
SKYCITY Queenstown Casino
The next SkyCity Group representative is the Queenstown land-based casino. It opened the doors back in 2000 and was the fourth gambling location in New Zealand. It offers eight tables, VIP tables in separate rooms and 86 video casino games. And if eight tables sound not enough, just look at the titles on offer: blackjack, roulette, Caribbean Stud Poker, Midi-Baccarat, and others.
New players are introduced to a welcome team, which helps to familiarize with casino events and games, so you’ll never be left one on one with a diversity of features. On the main floor, players can also find Learn-to-play brochures, which contain information on the rules, requirements, dress-code, and even a few important tips. Don’t miss sponsored events, entertainment evenings, and tournaments, which are held regularly in the SKYCITY Queenstown land-based casino. The age limit for entry is 20+ and the place is available 12 noon to 4 AM every day.
📍 Address: Stratton House Level 2/16-24 Beach Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand ⏰ Hours: 12 p.m. – 4 a.m 📞 Phone: +64 3-441 0400 💻 Website: https://skycityqueenstown.co.nz/
SKYCITY Wharf Casino
Another Queenstown venue is the Wharf land-based casino, which opened in 2000 and is already one of the most popular gambling centers for Kiwi gamers and tourists. Warf brick and mortar casino consists of six gaming tables with the most popular titles on offer. In addition, there are more than 60 pokies for those, who just want to have fun without analyzing cards or betting big money.
Warf is a boutique 21offline casino with outstanding gaming experience. Here you will not only play the best titles but get access to a range of entertainment events, and hospitable staff will make the experience truly unforgettable. This land-based casino is open every day starting from 4 PM. SkyCity Group fans can rejoice because the company has also launched a SkyCity online casino version, where you can play 24/7 without a need to go anywhere.
📍 Address: Stratton House Level 2/16-24 Beach Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand ⏰ Hours: 12 p.m. – 4 a.m. 📞 Phone: +64 3-441 0400
History Of The Land-Based Casinos
Brick and mortar venues in New Zealand as well as in any other country of the world are nothing but buildings that are arranged to look attractive for the visitors and are usually located in hotels, discos, restaurants, and cruise ships. Even though not all gambling houses look luxury and expensive, they still give a special feeling and make millions of people return to those places over again. So when was the first land-based casino established?
Gambling entered the lives of New Zealanders in the 18th century but soon after it was banned. Unfortunately, we won’t find any thrilling twists and turns in New Zealand brick and mortar casinos history but it surely had its rises and falls.
In 1908 horse racing betting was allowed. And only one century after, in 1994, the first land-based casino was introduced – the Christchurch Casino. Since then more and more operators started opening their doors both to locals and international travelers. And luckily, now we have a chance to choose from multiple offline casinos that differ in shapes, sizes, bankroll, and whatnot.
Online Alternatives To The Land-Based Casinos
|$1000 + 100 FS||Read Review||Casino Days||3000+||
|NZ$3000 + 350 FS||Read Review||Skycrown||6754+||
|100% up to NZ$150 + 100 FS||Read Review||Fastpay||3407+||
|NZ$2500 + 250 FS||Read Review||King Billy||5000+||
Casino Of The Month
|NZ$1000 + 100 FS||Read Review||Neon54||4644+||
How To Be Sure You’re Playing In A Reliable Land-based Casino
Choosing between gaming houses is rather difficult: they seem quite the same at first glance. However, there are a few standards that a reliable land-based casino should follow. Here are the things you should pay attention to:
- Fast payouts. Any time when joining a real-money game, players must be sure that the winnings are paid out without any delays. You will probably agree that it’s very annoying when brick and mortar casinos are wasting time or are looking for ways not to pay the money. Thus, a reliable land-based casino should have a transparent and fast system of cashing the winnings.
- Game collection. In 99% of cases, players go to casino venues not to fool around or to grab a beer but to enjoy their favorite machines and titles. That is why a broad game collection is a thing that any reliable operator should offer. It must include not only classical roulette or blackjack but also tens of different video slots. Casino players should find all their favorite games in one place without a need to look for them elsewhere.
- Legit. Before spending money, you should trust the chosen land-based casino. And the best way to deserve your trust is having all the necessary licenses and permits. If they are not displayed, go ahead and ask. In such a way, players can be sure that they won’t be fooled and will be able to solve possible disputes legally.
- Promotions. Land-based casinos are doing their best to stand the competition, so constantly improve the promotion policy. Players don’t have to settle for little and should choose a gaming house with the biggest casino bonuses, discounts, special deals, etc. There are even casinos, which offer accommodation, meals, and other impressive perks.
5 Interesting Casino Facts
- The first national lotteries took place in 1933. They were called the ‘Art Unions’. The prizes were rather low and Kiwis received not money but alluvial gold.
- Slots were introduced in 1887. The first video machine was developed by Charles Fell and was called the Liberty Bell.
- New Zealand’s biggest gambling city is Queenstown, which has two brick and mortar venues, 12 table games, 160 slots, and poker machines. SKYCITY Auckland is the biggest land-based casino in the country.
- George Julius, son of the Anglican episcopate supervisor from New Zealand, was the one to create the first programmed totalizator that was used for racing.
- Robert Maxwell is the man, who has lost the record sum – £1,5 within three minutes when playing at three roulette tables at the same time.
Land-Based Casino vs Online Casino
It’s difficult to decide which one is better: a land-based or an online casino. Each has different benefits and goals. For example, brick and mortar venues are perfect for those, who want to experience the unique atmosphere and to find friends, while online gambling websites are a great choice for those, who want to kill time or to earn quick money.
Here are the distinctive features of both of them:
|Offline Casinos||Online Casinos|
Benefits & Drawbacks of Land-Based Casinos
Land-based establishments remain popular for hundreds of years and millions of gamblers worldwide go to the nearby casino hoping to kill time, make friends, win money or simply to escape the routine. Now, when we have discussed all the differences between a land-based and an online gambling site, let’s explore the benefits and drawbacks of brick and mortar casinos.
✅ The advantages of brick and mortal casinos include:
- Unique atmosphere. The first and probably the most important feature of a land-based real money casino is the atmosphere of fortune, luck, and luxury that it’s able to bring. Online casinos can’t simply make gamblers feel the emotions that are available in brick and mortar venues. Here you dive into the world of money, luxury lifestyle, and entertainment without noticing as the time goes by.
- A variety of additional features. Apart from the atmosphere, these casinos can offer players a full set of side services including luxury restaurants and bars, hotels and theatres, as well as entertainment events with famous stars that will make you feel special.
- Being able to meet same-minded people. When playing online you don’t get access to all the social benefits that gambling can bring. When enjoying a title in a land-based casino you can talk to the dealer or other players, to interact and even to build relationships with those, who share your interests and passion.
- Complimentary services. It is a well-known fact that land-based casinos care for the players and once getting a $50 wager you can expect a variety of comps and regular promo offers just to remain interested and return to the site once again.
❌ Disadvantages of a land-based casino include:
- You may spend more than initially intended. When playing casino games online gamblers can choose different automatic modes and tools to limit the time or money spent on the game. Thus, it’s quite simple to stick to the budget and to leave the website once you feel that a need to have a break. When playing in a land-based casino it becomes more challenging because when diving into the atmosphere of money and fun it’s hard to quit even if there is no money left.
- Usually located in remote areas. Most land-based casinos are situated in specific cities like Vegas or at least in distant parts of the town. This means that you have to spend time and money on going there or paying for meals and accommodation if the journey takes more than a day.
Tips For Land-Based Casino Players
NZ offline casinos differ in terms of size, game variation, and promotions. Thus, players find it quite difficult to pick a place to enjoy a few bets. No matter what real-life casino you choose there are a few tips and tricks that should be followed. Yes, it’s always fun and entertaining to play but we all secretly hope to win big money and the best way to do that is to follow tips of professional gamblers. Here are the things you should keep in mind:
- Get familiar with blackjack rules and roulette betting systems. There are multiple gambling strategies that can help players master the game. It will be easier to win and to enjoy the process if you learn a few tricks in advance. Thus, nothing will distract you on the spot.
- Follow the time. Land-based casinos are not interested in telling the time, so most likely you’ll never find a clock in the room. Make sure to take a smartphone and to set gambling intervals. This advice will help to keep track of the money spent and to understand when it is the right time to leave.
- Try to get freebies. Even though in offline casinos the options are rather limited, players can still expect free drinks and meals, gaming credits, parking lots, and even real-value gifts.
- Calculate the house edge. The lower it is, the higher the chances of winning are. These games include blackjack, baccarat, and roulette.
Gambling Laws & Regulations in New Zealand
Before joining a land-based casino, New Zealanders and guests of the country should pay attention to the laws and regulations that concern gambling. Let’s start with the fact that it became legal to enjoy lotteries only in 1933 and video slots – in 1991. Before going to a land-based gambling house players should make sure that the casino has necessary licenses and permits, and follows all the local laws. The good news is that winnings in such casinos are tax-free. Every land-based casino market participant pays taxes for the player and gambling in NZ is considered a recreational activity.
Keep in mind that according to the 2003 Gambling Act there are age restrictions: players must be at least 20 years old to join a New Zealand land-based casino (in other countries the age limit equals 18 years). Don’t be surprised if the casino’s staff asks you to show a valid ID to confirm your age.
Considering that land-based casinos are regulated by the law, players can reach regulatory authorities and file a complaint. The Gambling Helpline is another place, where you can ask questions about gambling and get advice or counselling on any arising issue. However, it’s much simpler and easier to choose a reliable gaming house in advance not to have to experience fairness issues.
FAQ About The Land-Based Casinos
🔸 Do land-based casinos have any bonuses?
- Unfortunately, casino venues don’t have such a broad variety of promotions and discounts as their little online siblings. But becoming a VIP client changes everything because they get access to a range of features, attractive offers, gifts, free meals and accommodation, and even trips overseas.
🔸 Do I need an ID to gamble at New Zealand gambling houses?
- As you probably know, any brick and mortar casino has an age limit. Thus, to join a table or a pokie, players need to prove that they are old enough. It doesn’t matter whether you show a passport or a driving license: it should just be a document with an indicated date of birth. Make sure that the document is valid. Never try to fool the staff because they are well aware of all the tricks that youngsters use to get inside the land-based casino.
🔸 Can I play any free games?
- Unfortunately, there are no free titles available. If you want to enjoy video slots or table games without spending anything, it’s better sticking to online casinos. Thus, you’ll not only save money but will also improve gambling skills.
🔸 Should I follow a certain dress code?
- When joining the best land-based casino for Kiwis, be prepared to wear a suit or an evening dress if it is indicated in requirements. If not, just stick to the smart-casual style and simply avoid beach style or dirty clothes. Sunglasses are allowed only in poker rooms.